Flint One of Ten Communities Taking Part in Teen Driver Safety Event
Secretary of State Ruth Johnson today encouraged teen drivers and their parents to take part in Celebrate My Drive, a nationwide safe driving event sponsored by State Farm that’s being held in 10 Michigan communities Sept. 15.
With statistics showing car crashes as the No. 1 cause of teen fatalities in the United States and teens’ first year of driving as the most dangerous, State Farm created Celebrate My Drive to support teen drivers and help them stay safe.
The events will feature safety information and demonstrations, interactive driving games and simulators, entertainment, and giveaways. Public-safety representatives, hospitals, auto dealerships, driving schools and other community partners are working with State Farm agents to host the events, which are free and open to the public.
“Educating our young people about safe driving is vitally important and Celebrate My Drive can help teens learn lifesaving lessons,” Johnson said. “I encourage families to take part in an event near them.”
Interested community members can vote for their favorite local school to win a $100,000 grant at www.celebratemydrive.com through Sept. 15. Additionally, one teenager (aged 15-18) and his or her family who participates in the online school grant voting process will win a new Chevrolet Sonic LS.
“Celebrate My Drive is a new approach toward teen driver safety at State Farm. We are creating a single day where teens everywhere can come together and get excited about the road ahead and where it is taking them,” said State Farm spokeswoman Angie Rinock. “Celebrate My Drive is unique in that it encourages teens to focus on the opportunities a driver’s license opens up and galvanizes communities to rally around their new teen drivers.”
Celebrate My Drive event locations include:
- Allegan – Allegan County Fair, 150 Allegan County Fair Drive, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Contact: Kurt Schmitt at 269-544-0887.
- Canton – Home Depot, 39825 Ford Rd., 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Contact: Michelle Rolak at 734-458-6639.
- Clinton Township – Macomb Community College, M-59 and Garfield, University Center, Parking Lot 5B, 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Contact: Nick Palaian at 248-526-1328.
- Flint – State Farm Office, 2171 S. Linden Rd., 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Contact Stacy Donovan at 989-671-1923.
- Lansing – Wal-Mart (west side), 409 N. Marketplace Blvd. 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Contact: Greg Hanlin at 517-349-6109.
- Marquette – Westwood Mall, 3020 U.S. 41 West, Noon to 4 p.m. Contact: Mark Storm at 906-226-1570.
- Midland – Midland Car Show, Downtown, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Contact: Tom Johnson at 989-923-5181 or Steve Witt at 989-631-1950.
- Royal Oak – Northwood Shopping Mall, 30955 N. Woodward, 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Contact: Cullen Hayes at 248-526-1340 or Kirsten Wood at 248-291-6504.
- Saginaw – Home Depot at Bay Rd. and Tittabawassee Rd., 10 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Contact: Norma Jimenez at 989-671-1923.
- Traverse City – Grand Traverse Mall, 3200 S. Airport Rd. West, 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Contact: Emily Browning at 231-932-2216.
For more information about the programs and services of the Secretary of State’s Office, visit www.Michigan.gov/sos. Sign up for the official Twitter feed at www.twitter.com/michsos and Facebook updates at www.facebook.com/michigansos.