The Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT) has outlined a claim process for motorists whose vehicles have been damaged by potholes on state roads, but certain conditions apply.

First, the pothole must be located on a state trunkline, which is a highway with an M, I or US prefix such as M-1 or I-75 or US-131. MDOT only has jurisdiction over those roads.

Additionally, to prove a highway defect claim, state law requires the motorist to show that the road agency failed to maintain the highway in reasonable repair. They must show that MDOT knew of the condition, had opportunity to repair it, or that the condition lasted for more than 30 days.

Also, claims for less than $1,000 must be submitted to the MDOT regional office or the transportation service center that covers the county where the incident occurred. Claims for $1,000 or more must be filed with the Michigan Court of Claims in Lansing.

A claim form, instructions and local office contacts can be found on the MDOT website here: