Hate Your Ex? Name A Roach After Them. Detroit Zoo, Steal This
Valentine's Day is either someone's second-most beloved holiday or dismissed as another "Hallmark Holiday." Admittedly, the latter is usually a guy saying so. If you've ever referred to an ex as an expletive, or cockroach, there's something for you, too.
What is something single people could do for Valentine's Day in Michigan?
- For single people, it's "National Singles Awareness Day." Which means, there's likely an ex or 14 in their past. So, why not do something cathartic, or cleansing, that supports a great cause while sending a very clear message to your ex(ex)?
- Enter the "Cry Me A Cockroach" Fundraiser the Detroit Zoo should steal immediately.
What is the "Cry Me A Cockroach" Fundraiser?
The San Antonio Zoo in Texas has hosted the Cockroach/Ex annual fundraiser since 2020. The premise is:
- Make a $5, $10, or $25 donation you'll receive a digital Valentine's Day card thanking you for your support to share on social media.
- The added (optional) bonus is you can name a cockroach after ex-significant other, if you'd like.
- If you choose, the zoo will send them a digital Valentine's Day card (also shareable on social media). Their card will state they've been named after a cockroach and fed to (insert animal here) at the SA Zoo.
Last year, the SA Zoo reports the most popular names were Jacob and Sarah.
The Detroit Zoo should copy the "Cry Me A Cockroach" fundraiser idea.
- Detroit does things for zoo animals like special meals or highlight animals that "heart" each other, but this is much more attention-getting and would go toward a great cause.
Happy Valentine's Day... or, not.