Uncle Sam Sends Gift: $24M to Fix Flint Area Roads, Blight, More
Millions in congressional funding is a much-needed win for Flint & Genesee County, Michigan. Congressman Dan Kildee, who represents Michigan's Eighth District (much of Mid-Michigan) was able to submit 15 proposals to the Appropriations Committee for possible funding -- all 15 were approved.
Flint & Genesee County received the bulk of funding with eight approved proposals totaling $24,284,366.
Will Flint & Genesee County roads be improved with Community Project Funding?
- $750,000 to Genesee County Road Commission to update road infrastructure + safety improvements. Money will be used to upgrade & improve several roads in Flint, Fenton and Grand Blanc.
Related: 2023 Genesee County Round-abouts & Road Construction, 2023 Genesee County Road & Bridge Construction Projects
Flint & Genesee County fight blight with more money from Community Project Funding.
- $4M to Genesee County Land Bank Authority for blight removal and restorative initiative -- will demolish around 240 blighted/dangerous structures in the county.
Nearly $4M Community Project Funds to be spent on Genesee County Education-related projects.
- $2.06M to Mott Community College to expand Genesee County Children's Literacy Program
- $1.9M to Flint Institute of Science and History to expand after school programs in Genesee County.
Genesee County gets financial help for community, mental health and substance use treatment.
- $2M to Hamilton Community Health Network, Inc. to establish a community health center on the East Side of Flint. (Think everything from medical issues to substance use disorder treatment and everything in between -- even lingering impacts of the Flint Water Crisis)
- $1.45M to New Paths, Inc. Money to be used for upgrading substance use disorder treatment center and recovery housing facilities in Genesee County.
Flint & Genesee County receive funding for new Flint YMCA and Food Bank of Eastern Michigan.
- $4M to YMCA of Flint, Saginaw, Bay City for construction of a new center in Flint, updates to the Saginaw YMCA and creation of an outdoor center in Bay City.
- $2M to Food Bank of Eastern Michigan. This will help with everything from food storage, delivery and outreach to many families in need in their massive service area.
Get our free mobile app
Of the nearly $48,000,000 received through Community Project Funding, nearly half is being spent in Genesee County communities.
Michigan State Historic Sites In Genesee County
The State of Michigan has deemed these places historical sites.
See Genesee County, Michigan's Most Famous Historic Places
These Genesee County buildings are part of the National Historic Places Registry
This House Has a Pool That Looks Like a Human Organ (And We're Not Talking About Kidneys)
Because I have the maturity of a 15-year-old boy, I have to share these pictures of a house in Missouri that has a pool that's shaped like ... a male organ.
And before you ask, there's no way in hell that the phallic design was a happy accident. You'll know exactly what I mean once you see the pictures.