Flint’s MCC Celebrates 100 Years, Prahl Center Gets $25M Upgrade
It's undeniable the impact Mott Community College and the Mott Foundation have had on moving Flint and area residents forward in their education and lives. The Foundation has donated millions of dollars to see our beloved city grow toward its full potential. Now, as MCC turns 100 years old in 2023, the college will upgrade one of its long-time buildings.
What is Mott Community College renovating on campus?
- According to MCC information, the current Marie Prahl College Center is the original building. It was erected in 1971 and, obviously, over time has become outmoded for modern day use.
- The entire building will be redesigned inside and out.
How much will renovations to MCC Prahl Center cost?
- The total investment is approximately $25 Million. Half of that will be in the form of a grand from the Charles S Mott Foundation. In my opinion, it's fantastic to see an investment in MCC's campus -- after all, the Mott Foundation has helped numerous projects come to life around our community. Seriously, take a look at their philanthropy, here.
- Building 9 is the Prahl Center at the center of campus. See renderings of the redesign, here.
What will Prahl Center be used for following renovations?
- MCC's Dale Weighill, Vice President for Institutional Advancement, told ABC12 last spring: "We're going to have a cyber hub where we can teach students on cyber security careers, computer information system careers and all sorts of things that involve augmented reality, and virtual reality."
- He believes the reimagining of Prahl Center will make it the most modern community college facility for students and teaching, around the US.
You can expect admissions, the bookstore and other services to remain based in the center, too. Look for completion/opening in 2024.