MSP Recognize April as Natl Child Abuse Prevention Month
In recognition of April as National Child Abuse Prevention Month, the Michigan Internet Crimes Against Children (ICAC) Task Force is helping to raise awareness about child abuse and neglect, particularly online sexual exploitation of children. The Michigan ICAC Task Force is part of a nationwide partnership of law enforcement agencies with the mission of protecting children online and holding offenders accountable.
Some recent ICAC Task Force Activity includes:
- The capture of a predator for using an unsuspecting family’s wireless access point to exploit children.
- The guilty plea of a youth minister for using an Internet instant messaging program for sexual communications with minors.
- Investigating more then 1,000 cyber tips a year.
- Supporting local agencies with technical assistance and financial aid to help strengthen their ability to protect children in their jurisdictions.
The Michigan ICAC Task Force offers the following Internet safety tips for children:
- Diligent parental supervision will help ensure children’s safety on the Internet.
- Never send your picture without first asking a parent.
- Remember that people online may not be who they seem. Never give out identifying information such as your name, home address, school name or telephone number in a public message such as a chat room or on a bulletin board.
- Never respond to messages or items that are suggestive, obscene, belligerent, threatening or making you feel uncomfortable.
The Michigan ICAC Task Force is funded by a grant from the U.S. Department of Justice, Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Protection. The task force includes offices from the Michigan State Police, Michigan Dept. of Corrections, Michigan Attorney General’s Office along with many other law enforcement agencies.
To contact the Michigan ICAC agency in your area please call the Michigan State Police Operations at (517) 241-8000 or to report a cyber predator or to request an Internet Safety presentation, visit www.michiganicac.com.