Genesee County Students Prepare for Countywide Spelling Bees
The Genesee Intermediate School District (GISD) will host the Genesee County Regional Spelling Bee beginning tomorrow, Friday, March 9. The academic competition culminates with the 2012 Glenowyn L. Jones Championship Spelling Bees on March 14. All spelling bees take place at GISD’s Davis Education Center – Conference Area ABCD located at 2413 West Maple Avenue in Flint.
Student’s competing in the Genesee County Regional Spelling Bees are already champions in their home schools. Winners in each grade take on winners from other public schools, private schools, and public schools academies in Genesee County to crown a champion at each grade level.
This year’s schedule is as follows:
- Friday, March 9 – Grade 5 at 9:30 a.m., Grade 6 at 1:30 p.m.
- Monday, March 12 – Grade 11 at 9 a.m., Grade 12 at 10:45 a.m. and Grade 7 at 1:30 p.m.
- Tuesday, March 13 – Grade 9 at 9 a.m., Grade 10 at 10:45 a.m. and Grade 8 at 1 p.m.
- Wednesday, March 14 – Grade 4 at 9:30 a.m., Snow Day Makeup at 1:30 p.m.
- Championship, March 14 – Grades 9-12 at 6 p.m., Grade 5-8 at 7 p.m.
The competition doesn’t end with grade-level winners. Two division champs will be crowned on March 14 at the 2012 Glenowyn L. Jones Championship Spelling Bees. A single winner each will emerge from Grade 9 through 12, at 6 p.m. and Grades 5 through 8, at 7 p.m.
The winner of each division may display the corresponding Glenowyn L. Jones Championship Spelling Bee Trophy at his/her home school for one year.
The Genesee County Regional Spelling Bees are sponsored by the Genesee Intermediate School District, coordinated by the GISD’s Office of Education and Learning, and Glenowyn L. Jones.