Flint + Saginaw + Bay City Make Orkin’s List of Top Cities for Bed Bugs
Now we're in the Top 40.
Orkin's annual list of cities with the worst bed bug infestations now includes Flint, Saginaw, and Bay City. The three-city region is new to Orkin's list; Baltimore takes the top spot for the second year in a row.
Other Michigan cities on the shameful city list include Detroit at #7 and Grand Rapids/Kalamazoo at #23.
Hotels present a perfect breeding ground for these little suckers. Here's what Orkin suggests when staying in a hotel or motel.
- When checking into a hotel, place your luggage in the bathtub. Bed bugs can’t climb smooth surfaces.
- Inspect your room for small black or brown spots. These signs can be dead bed bug casings, live insects, or droppings. A flashlight or even your mobile phone’s screen is helpful to spotting bed bug activity on furniture, linens, and most importantly, your mattress.
- If all is clear, remove your luggage from the bathtub, but continue to keep it elevated off the floor in case anything was missed.
- After waking up, recheck your sheets and pillowcase to ensure no bed bugs snuck in.
- Lastly, when returning home inspect your luggage again and place your clothes in the dryer on high heat for at least 15 minutes.